Hebden Township Historical Data

Hebden Timeline

This is a timeline of significant events that have occurred in Hebden, and of lesser changes that aid the dating of photographs. It is an on-going, endless exercise. If you have any dates you feel could be usefully added, please let me know.

Photographs of Hebden in 1931
The earliest known photograph of the playground - 1931. Click image for larger resolution
DateEvent
1086Hebden mentioned in the Domesday book
1589Sale of Hebden Manor to the Trust Lords by the Tempest family
1600Grassington-Hebden boundary wall built between High Garnshaw & top of Bolton Gill (approx)
1631Hebden Old Bridge built (re-built in 1757)
1666Beckett's Charity founded
1674Green House built
1675Hole Bottom Cottage built (approx)
1677Phoenix Cottage built
1723The two Ibbotson's Charities founded
1743Hole Bottom Farm rebuilt
1757Hebden Old Bridge re-built after flood
1760Turnpike built (approx)
1788Beckett's Charity awarded the Poor Grass at Yarnbury by the Grassington enclosure
1791Hebden textile mill built
1792Mill cottages built
1795The New Inn built (approx)
1796Hole Bottom Farm bought by the 5th Duke of Devonshire and...
1796Duke's Level started (the project took 30 years) on the land he bought.
1812Original Wesleyan Chapel built
1813Saxelby House built
1822Turnpike closed (approx)
1827Hebden Road Bridge built
1829Hebden - Grassington boundary stones erected (approx)
1838Primitive Methodist Chapel opened
1838The Clarendon opened (approx)
1838St. Peter's Chapel-of-Ease consecrated
1846Tithe map published
1847St. Peter's Chapel-of-Ease bell cast
1850Mossy Moor Reservoir built (approx)
1851Hebden's "Star of Hope" Odd-fellows lodge founded
1851New Inn renamed Oddfellows Inn (approx)
1852First 6" Ordnance Survey map of south-west of the township published
1853First 6" Ordnance Survey map of north-west of the township published
1853Initial 3-year lease granted to William Sigstone Winn for mineral exploitation
1854Hebden Moor Mining Company established
1855Mossy Moor Reservoir dam burst
1856Hebden Moor Mining Company granted a 21 year lease for mineral exploitation
1857Enclosure Awards allotted
1857Miners' Bridge built
1857Peak of Hebden Moor Mining Company lead ore production
1859Hebden Post Office services established under Ralph Bowdin
1862First water supply installed, and Main Street troughs installed
1866Hebden becomes a civil parish as a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866
1869Low Green wall adjoining Main Street built
1873Hebden Horse Level start of excavation
1874Hebden School built
1877New Wesleyan Chapel opened
1877Green Terrace, Angle House etc. built by Francis and Thomas Hammond
1877The Clarendon renamed The Jolly Miners (approx)
1881The Jolly Miners closed
1883John Emsley published his book of verse "Rural Musings"
1884Vestry, west and nave windows in St. Peter's Church replaced by Ralph Bowdin
1885Suspension Bridge opened
1887New Lathe built
1888Oddfellows Inn renamed The Clarendon
1888Hebden Horse Level abandoned
1889Hebden Moor Mining Company liquidated
1889Saxelby Barn rebuilt after a fire
1891Smelt Mill adjacent to the Miner's Bridge demolished
1894Hebden's "Star of Hope" Oddfellows lodge closed (approx)
1894Hebden becomes part of Skipton Rural District Council
1894Hebden Parish Council formed following the Local Government Act 1894
1894Organ in St. Peter's Church installed
1897Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrated with a Gala
1899Initial planting of trees in Low Green by Parish Council
1901Footbridge built across the beck in High Green
1902Railway line opened at Threshfield
1903Last Hebden Gala
1903Ibbotson Institute built
1903Scala Glen Cottage built (approx)
1903Thomas Stockdale took over the store at Bridge House from Ralph Bowdin
1905Turnstile gate into Low Green made by William Bell for two guineas
1906Telephones arrive in Hebden (latest date)
1907Thomas Tattersall takes over Post Office from Thomas Francis Hammond (approx)
1909CHA Guest House opened
1909First 25" Ordnance Survey map of the township published
1911Hargreaves Coaches founded by Robert Hargreaves
1911Water supply augmented from spring on Edge Lane
1918Allotments provided on Low Bankside
1920Hydroelectric power plant installed at Holbottom (approx)
1921First Hebden Sports
1925Back of Brook Street excavated, and access granted through the Pinfold on payment of a wayleave
1926Beckbottom House rebuilt as Thors Ghyll by Thomas Tattersall (approx)
1928Longthorne of Hebden founded by Herbert Longthorne
1928Craigmar built by Thomas Stockdale
1929Braemoor built by the Misses Braimes
1930Playground built
1931Wilfred Waddilove buys Post Office from Thomas Hammond
1933Jerry and Ben's guest house business founded by Robert Sturgeon
1933Hole Bottom Cottage extended by Robert Sturgeon
1935Hebden Mill Lane postbox installed
1935Telephone box installed (approx)
1935Primitive Methodist Chapel demolished (approx)
1936Brayshaw Lane semi-detached houses built (approx)
1936Suspension Bridge raised and repaired after flood damage
1937Parish Council elected by secret ballot, rather than by a show of hands, for first time
1937Flowering cherries planted in Low Green
1937Highfield built by Richard Edgar and Alice Stockdale
1941Parish Council undertook survey of iron railings in village for the War Office, but declared them all necessary
1946The Falling Rock collapsed in Care Scar Quarry
1947Street lighting installed, electricity supplied by T. & A. Stockdale
1950Thomas & Sarah Bond buy Post Office from Wilfred Waddilove
1953The Coronation Seat built to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II's coronation
1954Yorkshire Dales National Park established
1955CHA Guest House closed
1955Street lighting supply transfered to YEB
1955Playground pulled down by the Parish Council
1956Playground rebuilt with new swings and sand pit rebuilt, following protests
1957Allotments closed on Low Bankside due to lack of demand
1960First display of Parish Council Christmas lights at the junction
1960New cemetery opened (approx)
1961"Riversway" and "Bramley Garth" built below Ranelands by the Stockdales
1962Top gate into Low Green replaced with metal turnstile gate at a cost of £12 10s
1962Hebden put onto mains sewerage
1962Path to Hebden Mill diverted from the mill race culvert into the valley despite local opposition
1963Smithy demolished on Smithy Hill (approx)
1964Manor House Cottage built
1964Flow monitoring station constructed on Hebden Beck in Care Scar Quarry
1965The Bungalow, Mill Lane, built
1966Water supply augmented from Longshaw Level
1967Hebden textile mill demolished
1967New swings and slide installed in the playground
1968Recreation Grounds, Town Hill Green, and banks of beck between bridges registered as Village Greens
1969Beverley Farm built (approx)
1969Road straightened outside the Clarendon and the bridge marker relocated
1970Hebden transferred from the West Riding to North Yorkshire
1971Public toilets built on Low Green by Skipton Rural District Council with a 60 year lease
1971Orchard Lane adopted by Skipton Rural District Council
1972Cyril & Sheila Towler buy Post Office from Thomas & Sarah Bond
1972Kitchen extension added to the Ibbotson Institute
1972Bracken Hall at Holebottom demolished
1973Walton Croft built
1974Part of High Bankside leased to the Yorkshire Water Authority for 60 years for a booster station
1974Hebden comes within Craven District Council rather than Skipton Rural District Council
1975Lime tree felled in the playground
1975Orchard Lane adopted by Skipton Rural District Council
1975Eddy's Barn, Hole Bottom, converted to housing
1976First mobile homes built adjacent to the Travel Lodge
1976Thors Ghyll road surfaced with tar macadam
1977Crag Cottage barn converted (approx)
1977Silver birch planted in the Pinfold to commemorate Queen Elizabeth's II's Silver Jubilee
1977Care Scar Quarry placed under the protection of Hebden Parish Council
1979Danny & Irene Ogilvie buy Post Office from Cyril & Sheila Towler
1981The Coronation Seat converted into a bus shelter by raising the walls and adding a roof for £505
1982Standard Garth wood planted by Parish Council
1983Hebden School closed
1983Scala Glen Barn converted
1983Peter & Linda Wilson buy Post Office from Danny & Irene Ogilvie
1987Edge Side Quarry placed under the protection of Hebden Parish Council
1990Travel Lodge finally closes as a holiday centre
1992Toilets and store room extension added to the Ibbotson Institute
1992Jacky Lathe demolished, with stone being re-used for garage at Highfield
1994Rowan tree planted on Town Hill to commemorate 100th anniversary of Parish Council, and 40th of YDNP
1994Croft House Barn converted - now known as Lady Barn
1995Washfold in High Green restored by Geoff Lund for £295
2000School clock refurbished
2000Hebden Hippins refurbished by the Yorkshire Dales National Park
2000Village photographic "Millennium Album" compiled by the Parish Council - copies in the Institute and the NYCC Records Office
2001Wet Scar Wood planted
2002Court Croft Barn converted - now known as Green Farm Barn
2002Mossy Moor Reservoir level lowered
2003Daisy Farm Lathe converted
2003Yorkshire Dales National Park installed stepping stones below Scala Falls
2004Bridge Barn converted - now Orchard House
2005Paradise End Cottage rebuilt and extended at Hole Bottom
2005Barn at Saxelby Farm converted, now known as Prospect Lathe
2006Hebden designated a Conservation Area by the Yorkshire Dales National Park
2006Public toilets closed by Craven District Council
2007Rose Bank Farm barns converted to residencies
2008Knowles Lathe demolished, with stone being used for Scale Haw
2008Scale Haw built (approx)
2009Mill Barn converted by the Hirds
2013Hebden Post Office closed
2014Suspension Bridge refurbished by the YDNP
2015Telephone box decommissioned and moved to current location
2015Flatt's Lathe converted
2016Generator building converted to create Cherry Tree Cottage
2016Wesleyan Chapel closed
2016Public toilets building transferred from Craven District Council to Hebden Parish Council
2016The Lodge built on the site of the ex-CHA Travel Lodge by the Geldards
2020Regular services at St. Peter's ceased
2022Town Head Lathe converted
2022William Bell's turnstile gate into Low Green restored by the Parish Council
2022Oak tree planted in Low Bankside to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee
2022Last wing of the CHA building demolished